Saturday, January 10, 2015

"May the odds ever be in your favor"

A new year. A new semester. For many of us at GSE, it is also the LAST semester...and it will probably feel a bit like The Hunger Games, minus the killing-each-other. Already I have 6 chapters to skim, a 244-page reading and four other readings which I'm scared to open. Classes start on January 14th aka the best time of the year---SHOPPING FOR CLASSES! I once shopped (aka attended to see if I would like the class) twelve classes in one semester. This semester, I'll just shop five and have to decide which one to cut, but I may tag along to some friend's classes that sound interesting too.

Of course, the IEDP crowd has been all over the globe (Costa Rica, Europe, Mexico, South Korea, India..I should stop because I'm getting jealous!). I just wish I could say the same for me. My route was: Philly--NYC--VT--CT--FL--Philly. Family, friends and more family! In New York I saw my sister and grandmother, attending a wonderful Christmas jazz performance at the Rose Theater in Lincoln Center. Then we had noche buena (x-mas eve) and the traditional Puerto Rican festivities of pernil (pork), pasteles, and coquito (amazing coconut "egg nogg" but sooo much better). My sister and I drove up on the 24th to Vermont where I got to reunite with my kitties! And what a reunion we had! They enjoyed their (thrift store) gift thoroughly. 


AWW! True Vermonter-kitties!



Then I spent New Years in Eastern Connecticut with some friends before flying to Northern Florida. They had unseasonably warm weather, which meant I actually had some beach time since it was 80F degrees! Amazing. Usually it is only 60sF during this time. Then it got cold (50sF), but I definitely soaked up the Vitamin D while I could! 

A wonderful IEDPer offered to pick me up from the airport, which resulted in a "scenic ride" on our way to Trader Joe's. Philly and the confusing directions/roads/one-ways! Still--I like Philly more every time I come back to it.

And now...it is back to work...Already I have tons on my to-do list and reading-list, but at least we are already "in the groove" a little  so I hope to be REALLY on top of things. Fingers-crossed!

I'll be sure to give an update about the first day of classes (Indigenous Education and Language and Curriculum and Pedagogy in International Contexts) on Wednesday! One thing I am looking forward to, besides shopping for classes--SEEING ALL THE IEDPers!! 

Also, please send me some questions! You can do it via email or comment on the blog. I know people are reading it (and from where you are, muhaha), so please do not be shy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment