Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Who can resist the wonderful smell of the stacks? NOT ME!

Because all my classes are in the afternoon, I have been going to campus everyday in the mornings (I aim for 9am) so I can do reading at the library until my classes at 2pm/4:30pm. When I pull open the door and the smell of the stacks and the feel of the AC hits me...it's almost like coming home...My little niche has been the 5th floor computer lab in Van Pelt Library. There are four desks pushed together to form five clusters of computers. Sounds perfect right? 

Not quite...

There is a sound issue. I thought I had it figured out when I found ONE computer whose sound worked. It made sense that maybe just that cluster had sound because when I tired another computer from the same cluster, there was also sound! Today, my frustration reached a new level. Off I go to my cluster with a friend and she takes a "sound" computer and I take another one in that cluster that I hadn't tried before. I excitedly plug in my green headphones to see if my theory is correct...and NO SOUND. "This is it! I can't continue a whole year like this, always giving jealous glances at the ones sitting at the 'sound computers.'" 

Off I march downstairs to ask the info people about the situation, and of course, he looks at me like I'm speaking another language. I point out that I'm rather computer literate and that I had tried everything, but NO sound. He said he would email the computer fairies to check it out. I went back to my soundless computer and just listened to my regular ole MP3 music. However, it seems that another student has discovered the sound computer too, because he's always there, at the same computer. But tomorrow's another day to grab one of the good computers...

I've also successfully gotten ALL my books for classes (there aren't many) through the library system, except my Intro to Stats, but it was only $8 on Amazon. BOOYA. I pride myself on never buying books. A word from the wise: know how to work the library system. It helped that I worked at my undergrad library for three years, year round. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment